What Is Black Mold: The Ugly Truth (Explained)

Oct 5, 2022

We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.

The Ugly Truth Of This Nasty Mold

You might think that you would know if there was black mold in your home. After all, it’s black, so it would be pretty hard to miss, right? Unfortunately, that’s not always the case. In fact, black mold can be surprisingly difficult to spot. Here’s what you need to know about this dangerous fungus.


What Is Black Mold?

First things first: what is black mold? Black mold, or Stachybotryschartarum, is a type of fungi that commonly grows in wet or damp areas. It’s often found in homes that have had flooding or water damage, as well as homes with poor ventilation.

Black mold is especially harmful to your health; exposure to the spores can cause a host of respiratory problems, including coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, exposure to this mold can even lead to death.

So how do you know if you have black mold in your home? Well, there are a few telltale signs.

what does black mold look like

First of all, black mold typically has a musty smell. If you notice a persistent odor in your home that you can’t seem to get rid of, it could be a sign of black mold growth.

Additionally, this mold often appears as slimy or fuzzy patches on walls or other surfaces; if you see something that looks like this in your home, it’s important to have it tested by a professional immediately.

No sure what mold you have – we recommend this test kit


Black Mold vs Mildew

Black mold and mildew are both nasty black growths that can appear in your home. But what’s the difference between black mold and mildew?

Black mold is actually a type of fungi, whereas mildew is a type of algae. Another key difference is the mold loves to grow in damp, dark places, while mildew prefers warm, humid environments.

black mold vs mildew

Black mold can cause respiratory problems, while mildew is more likely to cause skin irritation.

So if you’re dealing with a black growth in your home, be sure to ask yourself: is it black mold or mildew? A simple way to know for sure is to test it with an at home test kit which you can find HERE


The Dangers Of Black Mold

As we mentioned before, exposure to black mold can be incredibly harmful to your health—and it’s not just humans who are at risk.

Pets are also susceptible to the effects of this type of mold exposure; if you have pets and you suspect that there might be black mold in your home, it’s important to get them out as soon as possible and take them to the vet for an examination.


Exposure to these mold spores can cause respiratory problems, such as coughing and sneezing.

In severe cases, black mold exposure can lead to lung infections. This mold can also cause skin irritation, and it has been linked to
memory loss and headaches.

If you suspect that you have this type of mold in your home, it’s important to remove it as quickly as possible. Thankfully, there are a variety of black mold removal products available on the market.


How To Get Rid of Black Mold On Your Own

Black mold is icky. It’s black, it’s slimy, and it just looks gross. If you’ve got this mold in your home, you’re probably wondering how to get rid of it. The good news is that this mold is fairly easy to remove, and there are a number of ways to do it.

remove black mold

The first step is to identify the source of the problem. This mold loves damp, dark places, so check areas like your basement or attic for any signs of water leaks. Once you’ve found the source of the moisture, you can start to work on removing the mold.

One way to do this is to use a mixture of bleach and water. Simply mix one part bleach with ten parts water, and use a sponge or brush to apply the mixture to the affected area. Leave it for about an hour, then scrub away the mold and rinse with clean water.

You can also use vinegar or hydrogen peroxide as a natural alternative to bleach.

Whichever method you choose, make sure you ventilate the area well and wear gloves and a mask to avoid breathing in spores. With a little elbow grease, you can get rid of this yucky mold for good!

Still Unsure? Grab a test kit today!


Final Thoughts

This nasty mold is nothing to mess around with—if you think there might be even the slightest chance that there could be black mold growing in your home, it’s important to call a professional immediately. Don’t take chances with your health—or the health of your loved ones!

Read Next: Modular vs Manufactured Homes (What’s The Difference?)